Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Grand Opening ...

More than a year ago we had Jeff, our master plumberer and air conditionerer, install the grease trap in the dish station. The purpose of the grease trap is to capture oils and grease, and prevent them from getting into the septic system, where over time they would clog the leach field. So they are a good thing, and as a restaurant we are required to have one.

Originally, the health department wanted us to install one the size of a VW microbus, for no justifiable reason, other than they said so. Talking to grease trap manufacturers and internet research didn't provide much help on grease trap sizing, except that dump load (in our case the size of our 3-bay sink) would be a good starting point.

Somehow we managed to convince the head-honcho at the health department (who has since been nixed) that a 100 gallon grease trap would be sufficient for our kitchen.

Fast forward to today. The grease trap has been in use for more than a year now, but I never looked inside. Until today. We are closed today (it's Tuesday), and it seemed like a good day to do it. Our health inspector (one of the good guys, despite the fact that he works for the health department) had warned us that the odors from the grease trap could trigger gag reflexes, and were beyond sour milk.

So I opened the door as a precaution, in case I needed to escape. Fair warning: the following pictures may not be for the faint-hearted.

Off with the lid ...


... and be disappointed. Yes, there was scum (about half inch thick), but the smell was like leaving a greasy pan filled with water sit for a day or two, i.e. harmless.


So I skimmed the scum off the top and put the lid back on. Until next time ...


Dirk

4 comments:

lindaingeborg said...

I almost choked on my chicken nuggets (yes, that is how poorly I eat when I am in the city. During the weeks I'm a fratboy slob with a diet consisting mainly of cereal and fast food and on the weekends I turn into some kind of foodie snob) but I didn't because today at work we shot baked beans all over a guy with a T-shirt gun and that was the grossest thing I've seen in a long time so I was ready for anything.

So good for you for tackling that mess and may you be blessed with low smell factor next time you have to open it up!

Happy day off!!!

Rick Ness said...

awesome grease trap pics. yeah, keep us updated on that every so often! Ewwww! Not quite as bad as having to open up my septic system's concrete lid and breaking up the "bacterial mat" with a stick to help keep the system working! Egads!

J Bird said...

Wow - I love that the comments are far more disgusting than the post. Chicken nuggets? (Linda, I'm shocked!!) Baked bean explosions? "Bacterial mats"? Eeeeeeeew! maybe the next time we're all eating at Gunk Haus I should tell everyone how I deal with groundhog holes...

Genzi said...

thank you very useful information admin, and pardon me permission to share articles here may help Obat untuk mengatasi kegemukan