Thursday, April 15, 2010

Buzz, No Buzz ...

And again, I thank all of you who did your homework and responded to my question what beers you like. Thank you Charlie for your extensive list (I knew I could count on you), there are beers on it which either make it on our menu, or we are eager to try.

Back to work. I decided to tackle the dishwasher today, largely because I received a part in the mail yesterday. Hooking up the dishwasher theoretically is as easy as with a residential unit (at least with this model), but this isn't a residential dishwasher.

For one thing, it washes and sanitizes the dishes within 60 to 120 seconds (compared to the half hour or so on a residential dishwasher). The sanitation method with this dishwasher is hot water (which we prefer over chemical, largely to keep our septic system healthy).

Although the dishwasher has a built-in booster heater, it requires the input water to be at least 120°F. In order to provide this temperature in an instant, I am installing a recirculating hot water loop, which means the hot water continuously cycles from the water heater to the dishwasher and back.

So, this morning I took stock of the bits and pieces I need to make it happen, and went and got them, at least most of them, but not enough to start work today. Bummer.

Instead I decided to tackle our lawn mower which had been iffy since last summer. I cleaned everything there is to clean (within easy reach), but it didn't want to start. So I took the engine head off, to clean the combustion chamber, which was when I realized that the head gasket must be leaking, because it was all wet at the bottom, and the combustion chamber was full of soot. More work, more parts to get.

Dirk